According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 35.3 square miles (91km2), of which, 9.7 square miles (25km2) of it is land and 25.6 square miles (66km2) of it is water. The total area is 72.55% water.
Rhode Island Route 138 is the only state highway in Jamestown, connecting the town and island to North Kingstown to the west (over the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge) and Newport to the east (over the Newport Bridge).
Humans arrived in the area about 10,000 to 12,000 years ago, at the end of the last ice age, when they settled near streams and rivers. Ongoing melting of glaciers caused the sea level to rise, covering low-lying areas and eventually filling Narragansett Bay. The rising sea forced humans to higher elevations, and submerged most traces of the earliest inhabitants. The oldest human artifacts found on Conanicut Island date from around 3000 BC.
The Jamestown Erie Railroad station, also known as the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad Station, is a historic train station located at Jamestown in Chautauqua County, New York. It was constructed in 1931-1932, for the Erie Railroad, as a replacement for a much older station. It passed on to successor Erie Lackawanna in 1960 and continued to serve as a station for the railroad's long distance trains operating between Hoboken and Chicago. The last train to use the station was the Lake Cities, discontinued in January 1970. Local RR offices continued to occupy the building. Erie Lackawanna became part of the Conrail system on April 1, 1976.
The station passed to private ownership and was slowly stripped of salvageable materials. In 2000, the city of Jamestown took ownership of the building and considered plans for its future use. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Senator Charles Schumer announced grant monies to help restore the station as a commercial and transit hub on August 23, 2010. The Chautauqua Area Regional Transit System and Coach USA will use the facility upon its completion. Upon completion of the $12 million (2012USD) restoration, the restored station was opened to the public on October 26, 2012.
Mediaș is located in the middle basin of Târnava Mare River, at 39km from Sighișoara and 41km from Blaj. The health resort Bazna, officially recognized for the first time in 1302, is 18km from Mediaș. The health resort offers mineral water springs, rich in salts, mineral mud and a special type of salt, called "Bazna salt". The distance between Mediaș and the county's residence Sibiu is 55km.
The city administers one village, Ighișu Nou (Eibesdorf; Szászivánfalva).
The first signs of human communities in the area are thought to be from the middle Neolithic period.
In the 13th century, the kings of Hungary invited German settlers known as Transylvanian Saxons to the area, who settled in the valley of the Târnava Mare River.
According to the tradition, the town was founded in 1146, being so one of the oldest cities in Transilvania.